The oxygen in the atmosphere accounts for about 21%. Human beings were born in such an environment. After a long period of evolutionary adaptation, various physiological functions of the human body have adapted to the environment with normal oxygen content. Just as hypoxia breaks the body's own metabolic balance, too much oxygen intake will also break the body's own metabolic balance. However, the mortal body's forbearance to oxygen-rich surroundings is advanced than that of other creatures, and there's nearly no natural terrain that's largely oxygen-rich, and there's veritably little chance of ingesting too important oxygen. It was not until the advent of hyperbaric oxygen that the medical community discovered and confirmed the side effect of excessive intake of oxygen, oxygen poisoning.
Using a closed breathing mask to inhale high-concentration oxygen (above 60%), and after a certain period of time, or inhalation of oxygen under high pressure for a certain period of time, it will cause oxygen poisoning. For illustration, nonstop oxygen inhalation for 2 hours and 5 minutes at 2 atmospheres can beget convulsions; at 3 atmospheres, the shuddering time is only 37 minutes. Under2.5 atmospheres, oxygen inhalation continues for 7 hours and 48 minutes. Continue to inhale oxygen for 6 hours and 20 minutes at an atmospheric pressure, which can reduce lung capacity by 10%. The main symptom at this time is chest pain and coughing when inhaling deeply.
This is due to excessive inhalation of pure oxygen, which inhibits or even inactivates the activity of more than 20 kinds of hydroxyl (SH)-containing deoxy alcohols and coenzymes, which seriously affects the metabolic processes related to the transfer of hydrogen. Excessive inhalation of pure oxygen will also significantly affect the cycle of sampic acid, the oxidative phosphorylation system in cell mitochondria will be destroyed, and the formation of high-energy phosphoric acid groups will be affected. It'll also produce inordinate free oxygen in the affected tissues.
Due to inordinate inhalation of pure oxygen, the dissolved oxygen in the plasma has principally met the requirements of the tissues, and the oxygen combined with hemoglobin is no longer dissociated, which affects the transportation and discharge of a considerable part of carbon dioxide, promotes the accumulation of carbon dioxide in the tissue, and increases the acidity. It also affects normal metabolism.
The aftereffect of oxygen poisoning is systemic, causing functional or organic damage to the whole body. Due to the different sensitivity of various organs, it is usually only prominent in the lungs and other surface mucous membranes and capillaries; it can cause damage to the central nervous system, and can also beget damage to the brain, lungs, and eyes to varying degrees, and it may also beget hemolysis.
The clinical symptoms of oxygen poisoning are: pale complexion, cold sweats, dizziness, nausea, and even convulsions; foot pain, cough, and shortness of breath. Some patients experience cell hemolysis. Oxygen poisoning in pregnant women will make the vision of immature babies deteriorate after birth.
Inhaling oxygen under normal pressure, whether you use a single nasal plug to inhale 100% pure oxygen, or use a closed breathing mask to inhale oxygen with a concentration of less than 70%, it is very safe, and the oxygen inhalation time does not need to be limited. If you use an airtight oxygen mask to inhale 100% pure oxygen, you should pause the oxygen inhalation 4 times within 24 hours, 15-20 minutes each time, and only inhale air during the intermittent period. It should be noted that for patients with chronic respiratory failure, the time and concentration of inhaling high-concentration oxygen should follow the doctor's advice.
It is impossible to cause oxygen poisoning by inhaling oxygen with a nasal cannula under normal pressure. This is because when the nasal cannula is used to inhale oxygen under normal pressure, the nasal cannula is only placed in one nostril and the flow rate is low. When breathing, one nostril inhales pure oxygen, and the other nostril inhales air. After mixing in the nasal cavity, the oxygen concentration will not exceed 50%, so it is very safe and will never cause oxygen poisoning. Patients who are given oxygen therapy due to hypoxia are less likely to suffer from oxygen poisoning. In our many years of medical work, we have never seen patients with oxygen poisoning during normal pressure oxygen inhalation; even patients treated in hyperbaric oxygen chambers, as long as they rigorously control the one-time threshold of hyperbaric oxygen pressure, Cases of oxygen poisoning rarely happen.
While our oxygen concentrator can be helpful and oxygen poisoning never occur.